Visit to Oyama Afuri Shrine after a snowfall


Mt. Oyama is one of the nearest snow-capped mountains from Tokyo. The next day of a snowfall which was 6th February, I had a short visit to Oyama Afuri Shrine which locates on the mountainside. 


The approximate time required from Tokyo by public transport: 
Shinjuku (train 0:50) Isehara (bus 0:30) Oyama Cable (walk 0:15) The Lower Station of Oyama Cable Car (cable car 0:05) The Upper Station of Oyama Cable Car (walk 0:05) Oyama Afuri Shrine. 

This is the bus terminal, from where snow-covered mountains are seen in the distance.


After a 15-minute walk from the bus stop, I arrived at the Lower Station of Oyama Cable Car. Snow was hardly seen yet. 


But, as going up by the cable car, I entered to the snow world. 


Then, the cable car finally carried me to the Upper Station. A snowman welcomed me there. 


Although it snowed until the morning, the approach from the station had been cleared in a narrow stretch for visitors. The main hall of the shrine is on the top of the stone steps. 



After climbing the steps, I arrived at the central part of the precincts where the main hall is located. Some persons were still clearing the snow off the approach there.



When I looked back from there, I could see the snow-covered precincts stretched below.


The main hall and other buildings with snow-covered mountain slope behind.



I had expected that the roof of the building was also covered by snow which might allow me to take scenic photos, but it had slipped off already. Sorry…


On the other hand, the vision was not poor which allow me to see until the Sagami Bay and Enoshima Island which is at a distance of 26 km. Can you identify the island on the photos?  



If you become freezing after your long stay in the open air, I recommend you to go to Sekison Café which adjoins the shrine. 


And take hot drink and sweet for warming you up – those were a cup of tea and matcha tiramusu in my case. 



It was fine on the following day of my visit. Snow-capped Mt. Oyama was shining by sunlight. Then, I decided to go there again and start preparing for it! Will you come here, too? 




Written by SAKAI Isao (Oyama area guide)

~*★*~★~*☆*~★~*★*~☆~*★*~~*★*~★~*☆*~★~*★*~

                                   ☟Please contact us☟

                                           >>> Contact Form<<<         

~*★*~★~*☆*~★~*★*~☆~*★*~~*★*~★~*☆*~★~*★*~

Comments

Popular Posts